Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A memorable Memorial Day

As I was pressing the shutter pointing my camera at the war veterans yesterday, a sort of deep reverence and respect, which you feel while standing before a great sculpture or personality, was working inside me. When I was standing beside Frank W. Peterson Jr. of McKeesport, an army sergeant who served as a radio operator during World War II, I was, as if, feeling the heat. The 94-year-old, who was wounded in advance into Nazi Germany, had some problem with hearing but is still an epitome of steely resolve and patriotism.
Among all the veterans who went to pay tribute to the war heroes prior to the parade at McKeesport, my eyes were glued on this person. Salute thee!
And it was a welcome coincidence that I started my week in photography section on Memorial Day. I went out with our senior photographer Darell Sapp for McKeesport, and had a great day. People sitting and standing on both sides of the road the parade was scheduled to march by had in their gestures how much respect and love they have for the war heroes. They were waving to the passing marchers, many of them had brought garlands and flowers.
Darell took me to some beautiful places including Waterfront and Boston Park and showed me the bike trail.

Photo: Frank W. Peterson Jr. (L) pledges his allegiance to the U.S. flag.

No comments: